Monday, April 28, 2003

In honor of the warmer weather, I've compiled a list of the songs that most remind me of spring. These songs were meant to be played loud on a car stereo in 70 degree weather, or heard through the car window of someone parked at a 7-11 on a spring day. This list is heavily weighted towards 60's pop and 70's r&b, which are the two most springlike genres to my ears.

“A Beautiful Morning,” and “A Girl Like You,“ Rascals.
“Gold Soundz,” Pavement.
“I Wanna Be With You” and “Go All the Way,” Raspberries.
“I Do Love You,” Billy Stewart.
“American Girl,” Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
“Tell Her She’s Lovely,” El Chicano.
“Wouldn’t It Be Nice” and “God Only Knows,” Beach Boys. (The rest of Pet Sounds is a late fall album, too melancholy to be springtime music. But "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "God Only Knows" strike that perfect balance between sweet pop ecstacy and an underlying hint of sadness and dread.)
“Sparky’s Dream,” Teenage Fanclub.
“My Cherie Amour,” Stevie Wonder.
“Could It Be I’m Falling in Love,” Spinners.
“Back of a Car,” Big Star.
“Box Full of Letters,” Wilco.
“She Bangs the Drums,” Stone Roses.
“Lovely Day,” Bill Withers.
“Tangerine,” Led Zeppelin.

No comments: