Monday, February 17, 2003

There's nothing better to disabuse me of the occasional romantic notion I have of ditching my career and working a blue collar job than shoveling my car out of two feet of snow. I'm aching in places I'm not used to aching.

OK, enough weather bitching, here's three things that rule at the moment:

1. Nuggets II. I was disappointed with this at first, but it's grown on me. There's still too much twee, precious British psychedelia here and the set could've easily been edited down to three discs, but the gems are incredible. Why didn't "Mud in Your Eye" by Les Fleur de Lys or "I See the Rain" by Marmalade become colossal hits to be endlessly replayed on oldies or classic rock radio? (On second thought, maybe it's better this way.)

2. Dave Chappelle's show on Comedy Central. Surprisingly more hit than miss (the black white supremacist and drug education bits from the first two shows are instant classics), and at least the failed sketches aren't of the bad-SNL-one-joke-for-seven-minutes variety. Not as good as the late, lamented Mr. Show or Upright Citizens Brigade, but a hell of a lot better than the perennially mediocre SNL or perennially awful Mad TV.

3. 99 cent spicy ranch chicken sandwiches from Checkers. Not quite up to the high standards of the Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich, but you can't beat the price.

No comments: