Thursday, February 20, 2003

More stuff I've downloaded lately:

- J. Mascis and the Fog, "Free So Free." J. plagiarizes from his old material so often here that he should be glad that Saul Zaentz doesn't own the Dinosaur Jr. back catalogue. I took a listen to this because I heard "Tell the Truth" somewhere and liked it; unfortunately, the rest is pretty forgettable.

- Zwan, "Mary Star of the Sea." Let the mid-90's nostalgia wave commence! This makes me feel like putting on my Doc Martens and heading down to the Circle K to pick up a six pack of OK Soda. No, actually, it makes me want to listen to "Siamese Dream" again instead. It takes a lot for me to swallow Corgan's horrible whine and stupid lyrics, and the melodies or musical textures just aren't there on this one.

- Birthday Party, "Hits." (actually purchased this one) I'm not much for Nick Cave's solo stuff - too mannered and stilted. But this is the real deal. Blues/rockabilly/garage all mangled into a horribly noisy mess, while Cave generally screams and rants instead of the croon he would later adopt with the Bad Seeds.

- Essential Pebbles vol. 1. Probably the best place to start if you liked the Nuggets box set and are interested in more 60's garage rock. Despite the fact that they were probably recorded in a public bathroom, there's no denying the power of anthems like "Green Fuz" or "Suzy Creamcheese" or "Doin' Me In." Warning: may contain trace elements of David Clayton-Thomas.

No comments: