Sunday, July 13, 2003

In lieu of a semi-substantive entry, here are a few lists.

Words and phrases that have permanently remained lodged in my brain, for one reason or another:

- endemic to the system
- nascent Sammy Glick
- chestnut stew
- Kurt Waldheim’s ghost
- The Telltale Duodenum
- the luck of design
- modern agribusiness
- nitro burning funny cars
- Pierre "Pete" DuPont

Best lines from Glengarry Glen Ross:

- "What's your name?" "Fuck you, that's my name."
- "There’s an absolute morality? Hah. Maybe. And then what? If you think there is, go ahead, be that thing. Bad people go to hell. I don’t think so. You think that. Act that way. Hell exists on earth. Yes. I won’t live in it. That’s me."
- "Fuck the machine. FUCK THE MACHINE!"
- "Will you go to lunch? I'm trying to run an office here. Will you go to lunch?"
- "It's not a world of men, Machine. It's a world of clockwatchers, bureaucrats, officeholders, what it is. No adventure to it. That's why we've got to stick together - we're members of a dying breed."

Best failed 90’s pop culture items that weren’t as bad as people made them out to be:

- Crystal Pepsi
- McDonald’s Arch Deluxe
- R.E.M.’s Monster album
- those sandwich bags with the yellow/blue close seal thingy

Why I like lists:

- Blank space makes blog entries look larger than they really are.
- Writing all of those words to connect sentences into paragraphs is too hard.
- By listmaking, I can avoid all of that annoying "crafting an effective argument" shit.
- It's important to reduce everything I like or enjoy into easily definable categories.
- I'm a pathetic geek.

No comments: